Sunday, September 19, 2010

The List

Sounds like a John Grisham novel. The man seems incapable of writing something with a title that contains more than two words and does not start with "The". Anyway, it's Sunday, I'm at work and my shift is almost finished, so it's time for an update.

None of you have called me about sharing an abode, so I am still looking for a place to stay. It seems harder this time around than it used to be. Maybe I'm just getting old. Imagine an elderly croaking voice saying: "In my day, we didn't take so long to find a house. They were practic'ly lining up for us to move in." I think my lifestyle might have just priced me out my market. All the places that I've seen so far seem so tiny.  I have way too much stuff for tiny.

To get to my title for this post. I read on Tequila Tart's blog that ladies of this world apparently set up a list of what they are looking for in a man. Then they are to "send it out to the universe" or something. This is supposed to attract somebody with attributes mentioned in the list. I can not comment on the efficacy of such a list, partly because she still needs to make hers and has not reported back on any results. It did get me thinking though. Same as my flat hunting, that seems more difficult than it used to be, looking for a significant other has become rather more challenging than previously, as well. Whether we consciously set up our list or whether we just have some kind of preconceived idea in our head, we all (that is single people, well mostly single people, definitely some single people) have a few requirements of the next special person in our lives.

When you are young, like in school or studying, everybody is just a little ball of potential. Nobody expects anything from anybody. Everybody will still bloom into what it is they will become. So the the list is relatively short and it is therefor quite easy to hook up. When you're old, like me, people kinda expect you to have made something of your life. Therefor, the lists get a bit longer and more detailed, containing some very specific must-haves. Whether it be the right car or house or status or physical appearance or mental health, they do get added to the lists. This puts guys like me in a bit of a sh!toutaluck position. This is the reason why I think it has become so difficult to meet new romantic interests. Even if you do get past the "Who is this idiot that wants to chat me up?" defense, people still have their lists and woe unto him that does not score high enough.

I say: Bugger the lists. Lady, I may not have everything that you might be looking for in a man, but I'm a straight, nice guy that will treat you well, will care for you, maybe even love you at some point and will not mess you around. If that's not enough for a start then good luck with your list.

TFLNOTD:


(864):

no, no, no. omg. i said i wanted a SANDWICH! not a picture of your dick. damn cant you read? SANDWICH! now im blinded. great job.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Only read this now. I am about as crap as reading blogs as writing them. I haven't done my man list yet. But perhaps over a glass of wine later .. will keep you posted..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all do that. Sounds like it's going to be a long list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like 'The List' - in fact I tried 'The List' ... my family & friends even convinced me (against my better judgment and long upheld refusal) to join a dating site. Boy-oh-boy, I knew I had to enter this potential danger zone with protective gear and some serious night vision, but the result (even after at least 30 face-to-face coffee dates) was devastating ... in the end it lead to this - http://www.poetry.com/poems/preferential-men/6071855/

    ReplyDelete