Sunday, June 19, 2011

Defrag

There are a bunch of things in my head that I have thought of blogging about. Damn that's a horrible sentence. I don't know if I have enough material on any of them to make it worthwhile. They're just a bunch of loose fragments, floating amid the other flotsam in the vast open circle sea in my head. Time to set up a circumfence and see what we can catch.

As alluded to in the previous blog, I wasn't intending to write about actual politics in the governmental (now that's a good word) sense. I was thinking of something a little more personal. As I have also mentioned before, things are a little strained at home. For reasons also mentioned before. (This here is called subliminal advertising. If you haven't read the previous posts, you should now feel that you have missed out on something interesting or important. This plays on your insecurities and makes you feel somewhat inadequate. You should immediately go and read all the earlier posts, just so that you don't feel like you've been left out.) So, what I was getting at, is that there was a birthday party of a mutual friend of mine, the girl and the flatmate. I should probably start referring to her as "the girlfriend". it is kinda official by now. We, the girlfriend and I, did for a while contemplate not actually going. We didn't want to cause unnecessary stress or risk a scene of trailer park proportions. But we decided, you know what, he's our mate and I am damn well going to his party. I don't bloody care. I have a life and I will live it. Screw the consequences. I can't live my life trying to tiptoe around other people's issues. I have reasonably large feet and I wear hiking boots, so there is absolutely no point in me walking anywhere near egg shells. I have apologised as much as I am able. But I am happy and I am sure as f*ck not apologising for that. (I will however apologise about this little outburst to our more sensitive readers. Please cover your eyes when you get to the swear words.)

We went. It sucked. Don't get me wrong. It was awesome to see the mate on his birthday and spend time carousing with him and the rest of the friends. But the tension was so palpable, you could almost taste it. There were two camps. Set up in our honour methinks. Well not really, it just turned out that way. The flatmate was in one corner and we in the other. Glares were flung across the ring, I mean room. The girlfriend went up to say hi to her ex (I didn't bother. If we don't speak at home, walking up and going:"HEY! Howzit BUDDY!" might just be a little fake). She got no hello. Just a stare of death. So much for barking up that tree. We ended up staying on our side of the room and hung out with the friends in the vicinity. After a while, we decided that enough was enough. We had seen our mate, were able to shake his hand, give him a hug (and a kiss in the girlfriend's case, I declined) and wished him happy birthday. We left. McDonald's McFluffies (the girlfriend calls them that, don't ask me why) were consumed and off to bed.

I am glad we went. This was the first time that we were all in the same environment since this melodrama began. It was weird and crappy. But it's over. Hopefully, next time will be less awkward. I am typing this, knowing that it probably won't be the case. No matter how much we say that people must deal with things and get over stuff, sometimes people just can't or more commonly, don't want to. We're not all going to be friends and that's ok. As long as we're happy, have a bunch of friends and family that do care about us, who gives a sh*t?

Now there's just the little matter of when who will actually move out of where....  (Guess we will have to speak after all.)

More odds and ends from the rim next time. Hopefully of a different hue.

TFLNOTD:

(661):

u girls! girls! girls! have fun please don't hook up w/ a roadie! Love, mom

2 comments:

  1. Sorry that I was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy to inebriated to be of any help there. I think you pitched up about 10 mins before I had to head home to spend quality time with the not-so-ex's loo. But yes, its over now, I'm sure each time will be less strained. You will probably find that you care less and less about glares of death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, life would be so boring if there wasn't drama somewhere! I agree that people need to get over stuff, but everyone deals with things differently. And like I always say ... one never really knows what it's like until the shoe is on the other foot.. But thankfully time generally heals.. it will get better..

    ReplyDelete