Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Politics Of Politics

I have been complained to, at length, about my tardiness in getting these things written. See last post and also comments thereof. My apologies, again, to all of blogspace. This time, I have a proper excuse. I am struggling with an enormous case of blogger's block. I seem to have no material that I can feast my keyboard thrashing, little digits on. Well, I lie. I do have some material, but it is of a somewhat delicate nature. And I am not talking of any kind of medical problems in my nether regions either. I have no shame. I'll tell that to the world any time. It's about people. And politics.

We very recently had our very own municipal elections. This was great fun, as it always is. I went as early as I could get the chance and then had a very pleasant day off. I like our government. They are just the coolest when it comes to public holidays. Any excuse will do to get people out of work for a day. Anyway, so we all went to make our little x in the block of our preference, which will make a difference of exactly diddly squat in the end. Poor people will still be poor and there will still be a massive demand for housing and basic services. The rich will still be looked after in their cushions of wealth. And the middle class sods will bitch and moan because they feel like they have to pay for everything. Also, can any of you tell me what the name of the counsillor is that you voted for in your ward? Have you ever seen this person? Have you ever heard him or her speak or read anything that they might have written? Did you have any basis for voting for this person, other than his/her political affiliation? I sure as hell didn't. I have no clue who this guy is, but my party's picture was next to his head. I shall vote for him! How do I know that this person will have my interests/wants/needs at heart? I honestly don't know.

But we still do it. We still make our mark and believe that we are doing our bit for the greater good of the country. And we are. Even though I said just now that it would make no difference. What we do with our cross, is to take part. To join in the symbolism of democracy. For if we don't have that, if we don't go through the motions of elections and getting representatives from our communities involved in some level of government, then the road to Africa starts very close to our homes.

Oh bugger. I seemed to have shaken off a bit of the block. Didn't realise how much I had written down until I read through this just now. And this was not actually the politics that I was referring to either.  Guess I have material for the next one as well then.


TFLNOTD:

(351):

the story is to long to tell you via txt so when you notice the tattoo on your ass call me.

1 comment:

  1. I have just read this properly. I skimmed it yesterday - blame it on a mild hangover. I think your next blog should be about said medical problem. I am intrigued... There, now you got two lots of material. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete